3 SUMMER FLIP FLOPS
Flip Flops DIY .. wuhuu!! Here’s 3 easy flip flop designs to try this summer!!
Original pin: https://pinterest.com/pin/368873025712245038/
Difficulty (1-10) 2
Time 1 hours
- Silk ribbon
- Flip Flops (preferably with straps the same color as your ribbon – alternatively you can easily paint the bottom half of the straps in the matching color with acrylic paint)
- Needle and thread
- Fire! (lighter/matches)
- Contact adhesive (glue)
- Pearls/beads – Wide ribbon – or Faux fur pom poms
Covering the straps
- Cut off a piece of ribbon, about 130 cm. (51 in)
- Melt the edges to prevent the silk ribbon from fraying
- Sew on one end of the ribbon to one side of the strap.
- Add glue to the strap a little at a time, and start wrapping the ribbon around the strap. There might be a lot of ribbon in the beginning, so a bobby pin is perfect for keeping the ribbon neatly gathered. Use gloves to prevent getting glue everywhere.
Beaded Design (Pinterest)
- Start out by making a silk platform for the beads. Cut off a piece of ribbon, about 130 cm. (51 in)
- Bring the ends to the front, cross them and secure this starting point with a bobby pin.
- Keep wrapping the ribbon loosely around the straps while crisscrossing them.
- When reaching the end, try on the flip flop. Place a bobby pin at the weaved area where the shoe fits.
- Start out by cutting a piece of wide ribbon, about 36 cm. (14 in), and thread a needle with a matching colored thread.
- Fold the piece of ribbon around your hand.
- Keep it all together with a bobby pin. Place the bobby pin a little off-center, so that you can sew along the line.
- Now pull the string and wrap the thread around the center. Check that the 2 sides of the bow is about the same size.
- Put a few stitches in the center and cut off the thread. Tie a new knot at the end of the thread, so that you have a new threaded needle ready.
- Cut off the access on the opposite side, stitch it together and melt the edges.
- Sew the bow on the shoe.
Pom poms Design
- Pretty easy, just sew the pom pom onto the shoe.
(If you have some faux fur laying around instead, it’s pretty easy to make the pom poms yourself. You just cut out a circle. Then put stitches all around the edge of the circle and pull. Stuff it with some polyester stuffing to add volume)
Good luck (: